If you get arrested

Your right to remain silent
If you are questioned by the police about the commission of a crime you have the right to remain silent. You also have the right to counsel. But you must assert these rights. Anything you say during police questioning can be used against you in court. The police do not have a duty to inform you of your rights under the Miranda decision unless you are being questioned while in custody. If you make statements before arrest they will likely be admissible against you even if you were not read your Miranda rights. An experienced criminal lawyer can give you legal advice about police questioning. Normally, the earlier counsel can become involved in a case the better the client can be informed about what alternatives exist and the best course of action to take.

What You Should Know If You Get Arrested
If you are charged with a crime your life will suffer a major disruption. There will be important decisions you will need to make promptly. You should be fully informed about the consequences of these decisions before you make them. Wade Kizer is a local Richmond-area attorney who is an experienced trial lawyer and can help you through the unfamiliar world of courts and the legal code, and give you the answers to many of these questions.

For Example:

  • What does the government need to prove in order to find you guilty?
  • What is the standard of proof?
  • Who are the witnesses against you?
  • What is the potential punishment if you are found guilty?
  • How long will the process take?
  • Should you elect a jury trial or a judge trial?
  • How do you defend yourself?
  • How do you find out what evidence the government has against you?
  • Should you testify during your trial?
  • Was there a search warrant involved in your case?
  • What is exculpatory evidence?
  • What is inculpatory evidence?
  • What is the appellate process in the event that you are found guilty?
  • What is bail?
  • How is bail arranged?
  • If you are unable to post the amount of bail set by the court or magistrate is it possible to get your bail reduced?